A Weekend with Internationally Loved Teacher, Doug Swenson
Centered City Yoga is delighted to host internationally LOVED yoga teacher, Doug Swenson. He will be to Utah, June 28-30th, 2019! We are honored to host of the greatest yogis from our Western culture.
Doug began his study of yoga in 1969. He has had the wonderful fortune of studying with many great teachers including Dr. Ernest Wood, K. Pattabhi Jois, David Williams, Nancy Gilgoff, Ramanand Patel, and others.
Doug is a master yoga practitioner, philosopher, poet and dedicated health advocate. He has incorporated influences from several different yoga systems along with his passion for nutrition and the environment to develop his unique approach. Over the years he has authored several books; Yoga Helps, The Diet That Loves You Most, Power Yoga for Dummies and Mastering the Secrets of Yoga Flow, and most recently, Pioneering Vinyasa Yoga: The Adventure and Daily Practice. Be sure to look them up. They are very good yoga reads! Find links for Doug’s books, and videos on his website. You may also look for his 23 videos on Gaia!
Doug is a Registered Yoga Teacher with the Yoga Alliance and travels extensively offering workshops, retreats and teacher training courses around the world. Don’t miss the opportunity to study with one of the worlds top instructors. Doug’s classes are always invigorating and inspirational and his supportive style of teaching and keen sense of humor send his students home with a smile on their face and a softness within their heart. All photos are courtesy of Doug Swenson!
During his time at Centered City Yoga, Doug will offer four, 2.5-hour workshops. We encourage you to get the most our of your weekend, and sign up for the entire time period. If you are not able to come the whole weekend, please come to at least a couple of the modules.
Here is the plan for the June 28-30 weekend!
Friday, June 28th
- Power to Yin / the Challenge – Leads to Bliss. In this class we create a balance, by splitting the class into two distinct opposing energies! Beginning the class with a challenging (Power-Vinyasa Yoga Sequence) – then moving gracefully into a blissful soft (Yin Yoga Practice) – as we melt into bliss and finish with pranayama and deep relaxation.
Saturday, June 29thMorning Session:
- Mastering the Secrets of Yoga Flow (Beginner – Advanced).The main focus of this class is centered on fluid movements of vinyasa and how to expand this philosophy to create flow in your daily life – a variety of yoga postures – both easy and challenging will be used. Explanation will be made as to how the fluid energy lines of vinyasa in your yoga practice can affect your daily life in a positive way. A connection is made to help create awareness of the conscious flow in your daily life using the philosophy of vinyasa to relate to the energy in all aspects of your life.
- Anatomy of Yoga / Whole Body Anatomy. This class gives the students a broader vision of anatomy – beyond the muscles and bones. A better understanding and respect for our internal world is established. Based on the Nine Anatomical Systems of the human body and the relation to yoga practice and healthy diet.
Saturday, June 29thAfternoon Session
- Latest in Yoga Adjustments and Partner Yoga –(All Levels) Learn new and exciting ways to help each other with yoga practice, through hands on yoga adjustments and partner work. Class concludes with creation of a yoga dance, from techniques you have learned.
- Doug and His Story.A little more about Doug, his history biography in regards to yoga, philosophy of yoga. Question and answer period to follow. It is important and fascinating to discover what it takes to live as a yogi in this contemporary time period.
Sunday, June 30th
- Ashtanga with Extra Spice – (Intermediate – Advanced) This class will follow the order of asanas for 1st level Ashtanga, with the addition of some poses from 2nd and 3rdblended in at appropriate places in your routine. This class includes hands on adjustments and personal suggestions on how to enhance your practice. Class ends with pranayama, and deep relaxation.
- Avoiding and Overcoming Injury- This is a very beneficial topic in today’s yoga society and will be addressed openly, giving suggestions and solutions for common problems.
I look forward to sharing this powerful weekend of education and community.